This year on July 21, Mikie chose to go mini-golfing in the morning and then have lunch at Long John Silvers. That evening we got a baby-sitter for Zachary, so Michael and I could take our 4 1/2 year old REAL golfing. Watching my little boy tee off for the very first time (and whiff) made me so proud.

Golf is my sport. While I am not great and definitely not consistent, I have always enjoyed playing since the very first time my grandmother took me out on the course in Sigourney, Iowa when I was about 13 years old. It could be that this game was perfect for me because I was so shy and self-conscious that the thought of playing a spectator sport made me physically ill or perhaps it was just the easiest sport to play in high school because you didn't have to "try out" to be on the team. Mostly though, I think this sport appealed to the 'wimp' in me because the most grueling physical activity was not running hills or sprinting up the football stadium bleachers while passing a volleyball over your head, but we were actually forced to carry our own golf bag and walk all 9 holes on our small town course TWICE!
After four years of being on the worst high school golf team in our division (ok...we may have placed 2nd to last at one of the tournaments) I set off for college and found myself getting paid to play the sport I loved. Again, there were no try outs or scouts coming after me, but I was fortunate enough to land at a college that needed to spend some Title IX money on women's athletics and decided to commence a women's golf team. They were in desperate need of female players and took anyone who could swing a club. This is the only way I was lucky enough to say that I played college golf and got paid a scholarship to do so! Once again, I found myself on the worst team in the division, placing last at every meet, but was proud to be playing in the number two spot on our team (and tried not to notice when all the other number 2 women I was teeing off with out drove me by 150 yards and actually shot close to par).
To have Mikie follow in my footsteps and enjoy a sport that I love playing is a lot of fun right now. I hope that he continues to improve and always finds it enjoyable so we can play together as he grows older.
Besides the actual act of golfing, I know Mikie enjoys all the numbers involved in this sport, beginning with the opportunity to pick the number of golf cart we got (72), as well as the numbers on the clubs, the number at each hole, the number of yards to the hole, and of course the number of strokes it takes to get the ball in the hole.Here's a video of him hitting in the rough.
He was absolutely hysterical to watch as he would hit the ball about 10 feet and then run and hit it again another 10-12 feet, and then run, then hit, run, hit, run, hit......... until we told him to pick up his ball and bring it with us to our next shot. We told him that he could keep track of how many putts it took him and we would record that number for his score. As it turns out, his putting score of 80 strokes tied with Michael's overall score for 9 holes.
One of the highlights of golfing with your parents is that they let you drive the golf cart when no one is looking.
Mikie sinks his last putt on hole #9 and wraps up his first round of real golf. We had so much fun together just the three of us and hope to continue the tradition of special 1/2 birthday celebrations for many years to come.
He was absolutely hysterical to watch as he would hit the ball about 10 feet and then run and hit it again another 10-12 feet, and then run, then hit, run, hit, run, hit......... until we told him to pick up his ball and bring it with us to our next shot. We told him that he could keep track of how many putts it took him and we would record that number for his score. As it turns out, his putting score of 80 strokes tied with Michael's overall score for 9 holes.
One of the highlights of golfing with your parents is that they let you drive the golf cart when no one is looking.
Mikie sinks his last putt on hole #9 and wraps up his first round of real golf. We had so much fun together just the three of us and hope to continue the tradition of special 1/2 birthday celebrations for many years to come. Mikie Says.....
"Why do I have fingernails on my toes?" -May 09
More profound: "Why did God make us?" "Will our bodies be in heaven?"
When driving by an apartment complex with a 'now leasing' sign out front Mikie asks: "Do you have enough money to lease?" to which I reply: "Honey, we've already bought our house." Then I guess he must have been thinking about the check out lines in stores because he asks, "How did you carry it?" -July 29, 2009
Mikie wanted me to raise our basketball hoop to 6 feet instead of 3 feet and I told him that it would be staying at that height until Zachary got a little bit bigger. He quickly ran over to Zachary and said, "Zachary, Mommy says you have to grow." -July 2009
Mikie had just gotten a new set of golf clubs complete with a putter, two irons, and a wooden driver. While his brother was eyeing his new sporting equipment, Mikie pulled out the driver and told Zachary "This is my wood. It's hard!" -July 2009
Mikie amazes everyone with his mathematical abilities and this day he even amazed me. I usually ask him to find the sum or the difference in math equations such as 12+9= or 30-8= but today I started asking him to tell me what numbers make 10 and after hearing his responses I grabbed the camera, changed the target number to 8, and took a little video:



Very impressed by Mikie's golfing skills! Watching that second video I was just thinking that Mikie golfs like Michael when you said it. lol!!
ReplyDeleteMikie...you are a very GOOD golfer. I liked watching your videos. You are also a VERY GOOD counter. You made Boagie think real hard when you were adding & subtracting numbers.
ReplyDeleteI loved what he told Zachary about needing to grow up. ha,ha
Love the picture with the golf clubs on the real golf course not a mini one.
I didn't know you played golf in college - that's really neat! That's great that Mikie likes it so much and it's something you can do together. The "wood" comment was hilarious.
ReplyDelete