Since we live so close to D.C., I wanted to see the national fireworks this year. Michael thought that he found the perfect place for us to watch them on the Bolling Air Force Base across the river from the Washington monument and at first it really was the best place. They had the Navy & Air Force band performing on stage, bouncy houses, a playground, good food including turkey legs, and to our surprise they also had a very small..............
Mini-Golf course!
Today was the day we learned that Zachary is a dweller (just like me). On the very first hole, Michael helped him tap his ball in to speed things along because there was a line quickly forming behind us and Zachary completely lost it! He screamed and screeched and wailed and pointed and screamed some more. He absolutely refused to move on to any other hole. Michael and Mikie continued playing while I tried to convince the little siren that we still had 17 other holes to knock the ball into. I didn't think it was fair that I was missing all the fun so I struck a deal that Michael would play the first 9 holes and I would get to play the last 9. Finally, when there was a lull in the stream of people filing in, Michael took him back to hole #1 and let him putt it in. That's all he needed to be happy and then came to join us on hole #11 as if nothing had ever occurred. Lesson learned: don't EVER touch Zach's mini-golf ball. HOW EXASPERATING!
Michael is attempting to retrieve the ball that Zachary stuck in the model fighter jet.
One of the cutest pictures I have of the two of them!
Besides the mini-golf meltdown, poor Zachary had a few other "issues" to deal with. He was on antibiotics for that ear/sinus infection he had on his birthday and it upset his tummy a lot that day. I changed a few disgusting diapers on the grass behind the outhouses and even got the mommy privilege of catching vomit in my hands after an entire hot dog decided to reappear while we were in the food tent. Now, back to the part where Michael "thought" he'd found the perfect place for viewing fireworks. It was so pretty when the first few booms lit up the night sky above the Washington monument and twinkled in the reflection of the river while listening to the patriotic music on stage (it actually looked more like dusk because it never gets dark in a city filled with lights). However, we were down wind........which meant..........the remainder of the show was seen through a thick haze of smoke. The boys' attention seemed to be getting cloudy as well; so, it was a relief when the fireworks ended 20 minutes later. A quick change into PJ's and it was time to hit the road and fight the traffic which didn't seem to be nearly as bad as we had expected. '
If we are still here next year, I would love to go watch them downtown and up wind.


Like the new pic at the top! Very cute.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, when we went we sat on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and watched and it was amazing. But, seriously, I have never seen so many people packed into that space in my life. I was so glad I did that pre-kids.
How hilarious that Zach would dwell on that, and I don't know why you say you are a dweller too, Tracy. ;)
Glad you had such a great time. (minus the diapers and vomit, of course! :)
Boy, how I know first hand NOT to touch Zachary's ball. (You should have warned me ahead of time) it would have made my mini golf experience with the boys non-crying if I had known. I did truly enjoy it though.
ReplyDeleteSorry you didn't have a better view of the fireworks cause of the wind.
Love your new page and your picture is GREAT!!!
Great pic at the top!
ReplyDeleteI feel for you w/ the Zachary episode...that is something that Gunner would have done...and in some cases still does LOL. I think it is payback for all the times I looked at a screaming child b-4 I had them and thought "geez, can't they do something about that"...I answered my own question..sometimes NO!
At least it looked like a fun event, despite being down wind!