Friday, May 8, 2009

Mummies In The Morning

Another Magic Tree House book finished meant another field trip for Mikie. We learned about Ancient Egypt as he read about Jack and Annie's adventures in a pyramid with a ghost mummy. This turned out to be a great way for me to discuss how our Christian beliefs differ from other religions. After completing the book and the research guide, we took him to see a real mummy at the National Natural History Museum in D.C. Too bad we didn't live closer to Las Vegas so we could tour the Luxor hotel complete with a ride down the "Nile." For that matter, perhaps I should just look into a trip to Egypt. LOL! (I'm only slightly joking...you know we love to travel...which by the way we just returned from IL, IA, and HI and I have a ton of picts to post but had to catch up on a few blogs before diving into that long process.)

Mikie is holding his research guide and standing in front of the sarcophagus (tomb).

The mummy is lying down in the left hand side of this picture.

Behind us (right where the flash is shinning) are hieroglyphics


Mikie's favorite part was seeing the mummy of a bull.



We are exploring a computer program and comparing pictures to our research book.


After the quick view of the mummies, we stumbled upon a hands on workshop of skeletons. Here the boys are putting together a few bones to complete the puzzle:


Mikie being goofy

4 comments:

  1. Yay!!! So glad you're back!!! :) The Natural History Museum was one of my faves growing up--but I liked the American History one the best b/c they had Dorothy's ruby slippers and Shirley Temple's dollhouse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you teach them something with the completion of each book, great Mom and teacher!I will bring my pics of Egypt to show Mikie whenever we get together next...I have a ton of everything from the pyramids to the oldest existing Mummy. I traveled there for 2 weeks back when I was single and adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Can't wait for all the pics from your trip, I missed your blogs while u were gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased that you reward Mikie with a fun learning experience when he finishes a book. Probably makes him want to read more. He is a very SMART 4 year old!!!

    Mikie...you look FUNNY with two heads.

    ReplyDelete