Friday, May 29, 2009

Hawaii - Day 7

This was my favorite day on our vacation. We went for a hike in the rain forest at Manoa Falls. I was expecting a lot of whining and fussing but instead was pleasantly surprised by Mikie's enthusiasm and eagerness to explore the paths ahead of him and willingness to cooperate when I asked him to take pictures of each rain forest layer. We didn't have to carry him at all! Zachary was also cooperative even though he was very tired.

1st Level: Forest Floor

Zachary found some blue seeds that were perfectly round ball shaped.
Stream on the forest floor.


Having fun on the forest floor.A perfect hiding place.

They'll never find me here.
Is someone coming?

A giant leaf on the forest floor.
A great spot to take a rest (but not for too long....the mosquitoes were out in full force)

Peek-a-boo, Mikie, we see you!

2nd Level: Understory
Standing on the forest floor with the understory behind him.

Climbing in the understory and pretending to be a lizard with his tongue hanging out.

Zachary in the understory.

A tree tunnel with planks that look like train tracks provided a lot of fun for two choo-choo loving boys!


But it also caused a few frustrations (see video below):

3rd Level: Canopy


My little monkeys in the jungle love to climb.

After about 45 minutes we finally reached Monoa Falls

Good thing Daddy brought the camel back. The boys loved drinking out of the hose.

I think it took us an extra 15 minutes to walk back from the hike because we had to stop every 100 feet for one of them to have a drink.

4th Level: Emergent Layer

Zachary insisted that he wanted to walk all by himself on the way back. The trail wasn't easy and had a lot of exposed roots. This was about the only time I let go of his hand just for the picture.

All that walking tired him out pretty fast!

Look at how huge this plant is!

In case you need another visual reference:
He fell asleep about 10 minutes before we reached the car.

Back to the hotel for a qiuck change and then off to the Hale Koa Luau.

The boys in front of the emu pit (where they roast the pig). See the rug burn on Mikie's head. I told you I wasn't joking!

The YUMMY Kalua Pig!

"Let's Eat!"

Enjoying the hula show.
Video of Poi Ball Twirling:


Hula Dancing:

Mikie has been watching little video clips on National Geographic about ancient sea creatures. We were singing songs on the way to the rain forest and then he started reciting word for word (and tone for tone) what the narrator says on the clips. It's pretty funny to hear words like "Modern" and phrases such as "What is now" come from a four year old. Enjoy the video:

1 comment:

  1. WOW> GREAT JOB MIKIE reciting National Geographic! You are such a SMART boy! Wish I had your memory.

    What a fun day (wish I could have been there with you.) Loved all the fun things you found on your walk to the falls.

    Sorry about Mikie's carpet burn on his forhead during my watch....but in my defence, it was fun & there is limited space in a hotel room :)

    The picture of Zachary asleep on the leaf reminds me of the show Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

    ReplyDelete