Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hawaii - Day 2

We woke up bright and early and decided to head to the zoo, but needed to eat breakfast first. I remembered there was a Denny's across from the zoo in downtown Waikiki, but when we got there it had gone out of business; so, we walked about 1/2 a block and found LuLu's Surf Club Cafe on the 3rd floor of the Park Side hotel. I thought we were going to end up in a backroom without windows when we walked off the elevator; however, I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was and astounded at the open air view of the beach and diamond head. The food was yummy and the boys were well behaved. A very good start to another day in paradise.


At the Honolulu Zoo
Mommy's favorites are the giraffes.
It was very interesting to watch the hippos walk into their water area and then view them from under the water through the glass. This hippo even came over to get a closer look at my boys.
Mikie's in front of some Papyrus. I made him take this picture because we had just learned how the Eyptians used this plant to make paper for their hieroglyphics.
Termite mounds. Mikie wanted to try to leap from one to the other just like the badger does in the Jan Brett book "Honey, Honey, Lion" (but I wasn't about to let him try that!).

Is that a monkey hiding in the jungle?




It looks scary....




Here it comes. It's getting closer......


It's a ZACHARY monkey!

The highlight of this zoo was the crawl through aquarium with giant coy. The boys loved looking through all the windows at the big fish and because it was plexiglass on both sides, we could see all the way through. It looked as if they were actually in the aquarium.


Those three fish look very familiar!

In the middle of the crawl through aquarium, there was a pop up area where you could look down at the fish.
Mikie's favorite animal: Elephants
We never did get this peacock to spread it's feathers, but the boys had fun trailing it around the grounds.
The boys pose with their stuffed peacock souvenirs and elephant cups. Although the cups we ended up buying were actually pink with the elephants trunk as a handle. (Thank you Great Grandpa & Grandma for the spending money)
In this video, you'll see that wearing brother's sunglasses isn't much better than wearing Boagie's. You have to look closely to see them "bounce" with every step he takes. Oh, and I did find him his own pair of glasses shortly after this.
After our day at the zoo, we headed back to the hotel for another date night (to Michel's restaurant). We dropped my mom and the boys off at the Oceanarium restaurant for what we thought would be a fun time eating next to fish and sharks, but due to Mikie's lack of an afternoon nap coupled with no reservations left near the tank, Boagie ended the experience before it began and took the boys to the McDonald's right around the corner. It actually was a blessing in disguise because we had forgotten that it was a buffet; and, even though she is SUPER BOAGIE, carrying 3 plates with 2 kids isn't any one's idea of an enjoyable dinner out. Thanks again, Mom for taking such good care of them and being such a good sport about this ordeal. It's a good thing you like Mc D's fries!

4 comments:

  1. The little sequence of monkey Zachary was very cute editing. The crawl through fish tank was awesome. (Hope I didn't embarass you doing it with the boys at my age. But we're all kids at heart:) I should be the one THANKING YOU...I had the best time and loved every minute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post...liked monkey Zachary..and I am always impressed how their clothes are perfectly matched to the theme of your outing!

    P.S. So nice to see you for dinner, thanks for calling us...sorry we literally ran out on you, poor Hudson has a shorter fuse than usual with the broken collarbone...when he is done, he IS DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved their "themed" outfits. The tunnel with the koi fish looked really neat. Should have known you would not just be laying on the beach/by the pool on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love their cute zoo outfits! The aquarium looks so fun!! Don't worry, Boagie, I would have crawled through too! ;)

    ReplyDelete