Spring is HERE!
(ok...so I know it's been here for almost 2 months, but I'm late in posting this as usual)

This is the tree that we planted in our backyard last year and then proceeded to over water it (due to the clay soil) causing root rot which made the 5 pink blossoms shrivel and die while the countless other buds never even opened. We thought we had killed this tree for sure, but as you can see it is pretty resistant and was in full bloom right before we took our trip to Hawaii (I promise that post is coming soon). I was so thankful that we got to enjoy the pretty pink blossoms for about a week; and, I enjoyed doing dishes a lot more since I could see it from my kitchen window.

The weekend before we left, Mikie and I planted flowers in our front yard. Last year, he chose all pink petunias. This year, he wanted a rainbow of colors....literally! Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and pink were his exact requests from the moment I mentioned the plan for planting flowers.
When he unloaded them from the car, he insisted they get lined up around the tree on the stones (Amber, sorry to bring back painful "landscaping/birthday party" memories). I was quick to tell him they weren't staying there or going in the ground in that arrangement. If I have to have a rainbow in my front yard, you bet I'm going to have it in the correct order!
Getting started: Red first around the base of the tree
To conserve space, we decided to make the next row a mixture of orange and yellow marigolds
Since we couldn't find any green flowers, we convinced him that the leaves on the plants were the "green" in our rainbow. In hindsight, I wish we would have just gotten a bright green plant for filler.
A ring of blue, then purple, and finally the last pretty pink petunias to complete the ROY G BIV... well... ROY G BPP in our case.
Gardening makes you thirsty!(of course, you can't get out a hose and stay dry...they were both tearing off their clothes and running through the sprinkler in their underware & diaper)







Great job, gardeners!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the rainbow! What a great idea and looks so pretty. Better to hide all those heavy (I know FIRST hand) stones.;)
ReplyDeleteReally pretty, and what fun for Mikie! Love the "rainbow" theme too! I think I will have Gunner pick out some flowers for our yard...thanks for the idea! Although I have no idea how to plant flowers and keep them alive, Whidbey was the best for that, because even I couldn't kill the roses there!
ReplyDeleteMikie, you did a very good job planting a rainbow of flowers. They are very pretty. I love it. I also like your elephant gloves.
ReplyDeleteSo glad your pink tree came back this year. Very pretty. Is it fragrant? The stones look so nice around the yard.