Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Strawberry Bed

Over the summer, we have enjoyed fresh ripe strawberries right from our own backyard.
When my mom was visiting in April, we planted 4 strawberry plants in a flower box and hung it on our fence. Mikie helped dig in the dirt, plant the shoots, and took great pride in watering them with the garden hose (he really enjoyed testing the 6 different spray streams on the nozzle..."jet" being his favorite but reserved only for the tree and not my fragile vegetable plants). Thanks to Super Boagie (aka: my mom) we outsmarted the birds and added netting to keep them from eating our fruit before we had a chance to enjoy them ourselves.



After a long weekend trip to Ocean City, MD (and an accidental oversight on watering) I thought our precious plant was done for. We returned to find most of the leaves shriveled and brown; however after much TLC, it is now thriving and still producing strawberries. In an attempt to produce larger and more scrumptious berries, we (mostly Michael) built a small strawberry bed in the corner of our yard and I transplanted more than 2 dozen (wow...they really multiplied) plants from their cramped little box to a more spacious garden.
After completing this project, I happily exclaimed: "Yay! Look at our strawberry bed."


To which Mikie innocently asked: "Can we sleep in it?" :-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you must have a green thumb. Fresh strawberries, yea.
    Liked what Mikie said about sleeping in. Kids say the cutest things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great idea to try your plants in some long planters! I have tried to do strawberries but the poor little things get devoured by all the slugs and snails around here. I might try the planters though because then I can keep a safe perimeter around them! Thanks for the idea.
    I like Mikie's sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete