We did drive to NY on Sunday afternoon while the children slept most of the way and the DVD player filled in the remaining hour or two. The next day (Labor Day) we spent the morning at the Liberty Science Center and then rode the ferry over to see The Statue of Liberty. The science center received one of the top 10 awards from Parents Magazine, but I have to disagree and actually rank it as one of the lowest on my list. There were two areas of the museum that the boys enjoyed:
The children's discovery area with a ball maze, vacuum, and launcher that could have entertained them all day.
This device launches the ball into the air and hits a target on the other side of the room.
Snakes.
This was a really fun science display with bubbles. You can see how it worked in the two videos below:
Mikie sees how long he can hang on. I think the clock got to 14 seconds before he let go.
The angle that this picture was taken makes Zachary look so tall.
The only other area that was intriguing at this museum was the outdoor wildlife walk which was basically like an educational playground. The kids had to find their way through a maze while moving through obstacles just like the animals do.
The Squirrel Scurry


The Egret Alley was an area filled with reeds, squishy rubber tire shreds on the ground, and mist spraying down. Even though the next picture is actually of Zachary in the squirrel scurry, you can see the egret alley better in the background.

The Worm Wiggle was Mikie's favorite because he got to crawl through tunnels filled with balls (dirt) covered by the camouflage tarp.

The Rat Ramble was also a lot of fun and a little scary, because you had to crawl through very dark tunnels with sounds of squeaking rats and running water. I was actually surprised that both my boys went through it.


I mean...all three of my boys :)
I didn't get a picture of Mikie next to this sign but it was the Spider 'something?'
The Whitetail Walk was a tunnel through the thicket and a great end to the maze.
During the five minute ride from the museum to the ferry that takes you to The Statue of Liberty, Zachary fell asleep. He transferred easily to the stroller and got a good hour+ nap before we arrived at the statue.
We had to go through a security line in the old railway station.
Mikie and Daddy at Tidmouth Sheds.
Mikie sees how long he can hang on. I think the clock got to 14 seconds before he let go.
The angle that this picture was taken makes Zachary look so tall.The only other area that was intriguing at this museum was the outdoor wildlife walk which was basically like an educational playground. The kids had to find their way through a maze while moving through obstacles just like the animals do.
The Squirrel Scurry

The Egret Alley was an area filled with reeds, squishy rubber tire shreds on the ground, and mist spraying down. Even though the next picture is actually of Zachary in the squirrel scurry, you can see the egret alley better in the background.
The Worm Wiggle was Mikie's favorite because he got to crawl through tunnels filled with balls (dirt) covered by the camouflage tarp.
The Rat Ramble was also a lot of fun and a little scary, because you had to crawl through very dark tunnels with sounds of squeaking rats and running water. I was actually surprised that both my boys went through it.

I mean...all three of my boys :)
I didn't get a picture of Mikie next to this sign but it was the Spider 'something?'
The Whitetail Walk was a tunnel through the thicket and a great end to the maze.
During the five minute ride from the museum to the ferry that takes you to The Statue of Liberty, Zachary fell asleep. He transferred easily to the stroller and got a good hour+ nap before we arrived at the statue.
We had to go through a security line in the old railway station.
Mikie and Daddy at Tidmouth Sheds.







Love your skyline pic!!! I haven't been to the Statue of Liberty yet, but that's on my list. :) Fun trip!!
ReplyDeleteThe bubble video was cute (never seen such a big bubble.) The Statue of Liberty pics made me jealous.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! The outdoor animal thing was neat. The science center in St. Louis had some of the same displays - the bubbles and the hanging bar. What did the boys think of the Statue of Liberty?
ReplyDeleteSteph
Oh, and I give Dave a hard time, but I secretly love it when the boys only want Daddy. It gives me a break! Unfortunately, lately its been Mommy, mommy, mommy... Well, not really unfortunately, but you know what I mean.
ReplyDeleteSteph
Looks like a fun trip so far! I can't wait to take Gunner to the Statue next year, he has the Magic School Bus book where they go and he is excited to see it. Nice that you had so much time with Michael...nothing like fun family time!
ReplyDelete