Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mt. Washington Cog Train

On our first full day with Grandmommy and Granddaddy Jones in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, we took a three hour adventure to the top of Mount Washington in a cog train. It's an hour ride to the summit, an hour of leisure at the lookout museum, and then another hour to ride back down to the bottom. My first thought was: "They'll love being on a train" and my second, third, and fourth thoughts were: "There are no bathrooms. Zach is now potty trained. I just know he's going to have to go while we're on the train." And I was right! Luckily, when we took Mikie to Germany at the age of 2 , we purchased a collapsible potty that I tucked into our bag for emergencies such as this. We just unfolded it and let him sit on it right on the seat next to us, closed it up, and no one ever knew what just took place.

In front of the train car #9

It was a pleasant day, but I was so disappointed that we were missing all the fall colors by only one week; everything was still green.







At the summit, Mikie thought the train whistle was too loud and wouldn't uncover his ears until we were inside.

On the way back down, we rode in a yellow car. Zachary fell asleep on Michael's lap and Mikie was so very close to being out by the time we reached the bottom. Of course, as soon as we put them in the car they both got their second wind and asked if we could.............

(Zach has to pee again)

Show us how it's done Granddaddy.

Waiting at a hole for Zach to get back from one of his numerous potty breaks.

Listening for the balls to "thump" into the bucket on hole 18. Because you know: "Hole 18 eats your ball!" as we've been told at almost every golf course.
Upon exiting the course, the children managed to finagle a few quarters out of Granddaddy for use in the arcade. Here's a video of Zach in the spider stomp game:

4 comments:

  1. Zachary...You did a very good job steeping on the spots and winning lots of tickets. I had fun watching you. Wish I could be there also.

    Zachary is sure happy when Daddy carries him all the time. Funny, you had to take a potty on the train with you.

    Love the picture of Michael with sons & parents.
    I wonder how many mini golf courses there are in the USA? Wonder if the Jones' family will ever find out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new header pic..such a handsome family!!
    Zachary was too cute stomping on the spiders! I need you to come to my house and potty train Hudson, I am lazy and haven't tried yet..good thinking with the collapsible potty!
    Looked gorgeous and the train looked fun...and of course the mini-golf looked fun too...you need to write a book...seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new background and picture!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great page look and great pictures. I never even knew they made such a thing as a collapsible potty. Way to be super prepared! Looks like you had great weather too.

    ReplyDelete