Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving on Thursday (Field Trip #27)

When Mikie began reading The Magic Treehouse book #27, Thanksgiving On Thursday, about the very first Thanksgiving, I knew we'd be taking a field trip to Plymouth, Massachusetts. It worked out perfectly that the timing of this book fell in November and we spent Thanksgiving with the pilgrims, and Boagie, Grandmommy & Granddaddy came too!
It was a cold day to visit Plymouth Rock!





We were glad to climb aboard The Mayflower, but it was still COLD!







The pilgrims were on board to tell us their story.

Mikie shows us the clothes they wore in 1620.

Then we explored the Plimoth Plantation.

























Then we had a tradtional THANKSGIVING FEAST with the pilgrims!

Mikie gets an autograph from Governor Bradford after explaining to him about how a "pen" works.

Along with the food, we enjoyed hearing the pilgrims sing as well.



There wasn't a lot of food that the boys actually ate, so when they brought out grapes for dessert they both gobbled those up.


Despite the cold, this was one of the most authentic and enjoyable field trips we've taken. I'm so sad that they are coming to an end, but cherish all the memories we've made as a family and hope Mikie is able to look back and remember all he has learned.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tracy! That sounds like a wonderful field trip. Mikie and Zachary are so lucky to have such a fun and creative mom. I haven't checked blogs in a while and I've missed a lot.

    I might start the Magic Tree House books with Brooke and Nathan this fall. Any suggestions on learning activities would be awesome.

    Love the updates!

    ReplyDelete