Upon landing in WA, dragging my kids and gear to Advantage Rental Company, receiving the free Volkswagen mini-van upgrade, and loading car seats in said mini-van it was lunch time. Now, I had forgotten that it was a holiday (Veterans' Day) when I promised we would be dinning at our favorite restaurant, The Rain Forest Cafe, which just happens to be in a shopping mall. By the looks of the crowded parking lot I knew this adventure wasn't going to go well. I was right. It was a 30 minute wait to be seated but we managed to find several things in the gift shop to occupy our time. Once we went in, it was time for Mikie to have his melt down. Probably the worst one he's had in public in a long time. We spent the majority of our time in the restroom so that we only destroyed the hearing of a select few patrons instead of the entire dinning room. I truly felt like the world's worst mom as everyone was staring at me and the child with his nose stuck in the corner screaming and hollering about the yucky (minuscule drop of) soap I put on his tongue. The bright side? Zachary was so appalled by his brother's behavior and afraid of what I may do that he was as quiet as a church mouse. As soon as the food came everything got much better, that is until we had to get back in the mini-van. Then it was Zach's turn to scream "Owie Back" because he hates sitting in his car seat. I thought this was a great excuse to take the ferry instead of driving all the way around to get to Whidbey. Apparently, I had used up all my good luck at the rental car agency because we ended up missing the ferry cut off by one car. And by one car I mean that I WAS the one car! Well, that just means we'll be the first ones on the next ferry in 30 minutes! Time to get out of the car, go smell the sea air, run on the dock, watch the planes fly overhead, and count the birds. All the while enjoying the remoteness of the area! *Sigh*
The boys enjoyed their short ferry ride and I enjoyed the break from all the screaming. We had reached Whidbey Island, but we still had a 45 minute drive to Amber's house. Along the way we listened to more screaming, stopped on the side of the road for Zach to go potty, and I wished I had grabbed a children's CD to drown out the noise. We needed to stop at the store for some rice milk and a handful of other things before reaching Amber's house. Again, I underestimated the cooperativeness of my overly tired children. Mikie hurt his back on shelf which sent him reeling and Zachary insisted on pushing the cart himself until I had to sprint and grab it before it crashed into the glass refrigerator doors. He then lost his privilege to walk and I had another screaming child drawing attention to the "out of towners" in the local grocery store. When we finally made it to Amber's, I think the only other person that was even more grateful to be there than me was poor little Tate who had been standing motionless at the window watching for us for nearly an hour.
Day 2 of our trip was the most anticipated event in over a year. The last time we were in WA for Tate's birthday we promised to take the boys to Jungle Playland but ended up with 4 sick kids instead. Mikie's been asking to go ever since. It really is a wonderful place. It's a giant play structure operated out of a church. The kids love it and this year we didn't have to climb and slide with them too much. Zachary still screamed a lot, but that was because he wanted to keep up with the big boys and they were just too fast for him. He did have fun with Ayden in the toddler area, though.


Video:
We had forgotten the boy's stuffed animals that they picked out at home to accompany us on this trip, so I allowed them each to stuff their own elephant as their Jungle Playland Souvenir.
My boys still carry theirs around now that we're home but I can guess that Amber probably confiscated her children's as soon as I left since she has an aversion to anything stuffed. :)
The next day a cold front moved through and it became very windy. The wind chill was close to freezing, if not below, and that made our next adventure a little less than appealing for Mikie.We can now say that we have flown across the country for one of his field trips. Mikie finished reading The Magic Tree House book Ghost Town At Sundown which was all about the wild west and cowboys. My friend, Holley, has horses and was kind enough to let us come over for our field trip to learn about horses and their gear.
You can see just how happy Mikie was to be out in the cold (but we were actually inside her very nice barn). It also didn't help that he had just woken up from his nap. And we'll throw jet lag into the list of causes as well.
Zachary enjoyed himself!
Holley shows the kids how to bridle a horse.
Getting a little happier!
Zachary takes a ride on C.C. the pony. Here's a video:
I had to bribe Mikie to get him on the horse. What does he ask for as his reward? Mini-golf. Well, that didn't happen but we did take him bowling.
Here's Mikie's video:
Finally a happy face! I was so happy to get this picture. In the book, it shows a horse with a star on his head (a 5 pointed star) and I wanted to show Mikie how horses have stars but they aren't like the drawings in his book. Thank you so much for teaching us about horses, Holley! And thanks for posing for us Ander (I hope that's right!?).


A video of brotherly cooperation:

Of course a trip to Amber's house wouldn't be complete without a baking lesson and dessert sampling. She had made the most delicious cashew bars that Mikie and I ate the rest of the time we were there. When I made them at home, Mikie saw them cooling and asked, "Can I have one of those, one of those Miss Amber Bars!" So now they will forever be known as Miss Amber Bars at my house.
You can see just how happy Mikie was to be out in the cold (but we were actually inside her very nice barn). It also didn't help that he had just woken up from his nap. And we'll throw jet lag into the list of causes as well.
Zachary enjoyed himself!
Holley shows the kids how to bridle a horse.
Getting a little happier!
Zachary takes a ride on C.C. the pony. Here's a video:
I had to bribe Mikie to get him on the horse. What does he ask for as his reward? Mini-golf. Well, that didn't happen but we did take him bowling.Here's Mikie's video:
Finally a happy face! I was so happy to get this picture. In the book, it shows a horse with a star on his head (a 5 pointed star) and I wanted to show Mikie how horses have stars but they aren't like the drawings in his book. Thank you so much for teaching us about horses, Holley! And thanks for posing for us Ander (I hope that's right!?).

A video of brotherly cooperation:
Of course a trip to Amber's house wouldn't be complete without a baking lesson and dessert sampling. She had made the most delicious cashew bars that Mikie and I ate the rest of the time we were there. When I made them at home, Mikie saw them cooling and asked, "Can I have one of those, one of those Miss Amber Bars!" So now they will forever be known as Miss Amber Bars at my house.






Looked like a fun trip, minus the tantrums. I give you credit, after the trip from WA to Va. Bch alone w/ Gunner @ 18 mo.s I swore to never fly kids unless they were old enough to not scream for 5 hours straight! You are a trooper AND a great Mom!
ReplyDeleteI know it wasn't fun at the time, but I am laughing my rear off over Mikie throwing a fit at Rainforest and Zachary being so terrified that he keeps quiet. Sounds like every day a my house. ;)
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad you came DESPITE the Navy trying to keep you away. We had a great time with you visiting and am looking forward to being on the ground again when we come over in January.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, I have not confiscated the stuffed animals. They hang out in their bedroom. :P
Love the ball picture of all four friends. CUTE!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry you had such a trying trip by yourself, but you handled it very well and someday YOU WILL look back and laugh at it. Wish I could have seen poor Zachary, scared at brothers' expense.
I guess I know which child has the love of horses like his Grandpa & Aunt Trisha and which one can do without like Boagie & Mommy.
I am so glad you decided to make the trip as a solo parent when it would have been easy to cop out. Love you.