Thursday, November 12, 2009

Locust Shade Park

I think I may have found my saving grace in the crazy, busy area we are forced to call home. About 25 minutes north of us is Locust Shade Park. With it's 3 playgrounds, hiking trails, pond, driving range, and mini-golf course it has something to offer every member of the Jones family and I haven't seen many people whenever we've gone there. It's a nice little solitude where, when I'm there, I almost forget that I live so close to D.C.

One fall afternoon, the boys and I played 2 rounds of mini-golf, ate a picnic lunch, and then played on the swings and slides until nap time. We then went home, they took naps, and we drove back to Locust Shade Park when Michael was done with work. We spent an enjoyable evening hiking the little trails, throwing acorns in the water, and even saw some wildlife. We noticed several trees that had been gnawed by a beaver. Then we saw his dam, and even caught a glimpse of the beaver himself swimming in the pond. The sun was setting fast so we had to cut our nature walk short, but noticed the mini-golf course was still open so we played yet another round.






Mikie on our hike



Clones!
Why do they look so happy? Watch the video below to find out:

"My threw mine all the way down there." -Zachary
I was reminded a little of our Walden Pond adventure a year ago because the water was still as glass. I've discovered the best times to vist little ponds like this are early in the morning or right at dusk.



Self timer picture.

Isn't that cool? There were so many trees like this.

And even some like this one that had already been chewed down.
And this was the last day of the beautiful colors in their peak, because it started raining that night and autumn turned into "fall."

4 comments:

  1. Loved the picture of the tree!

    Seriously, though, how the heck did you clone those boys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know how jealous you are making me! We have nothing like that down here, and even if we did, we'd be sweating through it in shorts and tank tops... Great pictures - I used to go to that park when I was in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indonesia Click here
    Borobudur - Bali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved all the beautiful pictures. What a gorgeous time of year. Loved the acorn video and so funny Mikie even finds numbers in water "look it's a number 8" when the water ripples were side by side.

    ReplyDelete