Sunday, December 21, 2008

Honored by a friend...

I usually only post about my kids and the activities we do together (because hey, that's all I can keep up with), but today I was honored to receive the following award from my friend, Amanda. She is one of the friendliest people I have met here in this overpopulated area. We became friends over the summer through a Bible study at our church. While I am busy 'bringing up boys', she is busy 'growing up girls' (2 very cute ones I might add!) And how she finds the time to coordinate the MOPS newsletter, oversee the MOPS online group site, host & plan parties, and still be so involved with our church and her friends, I'll never know. Of course, while doing all of this she still has time to keep her blog updated with a lot more intellectual posts than my mere play by play of trips and activities. If you only have time to check out one of her posts, I would highly recommend It's Like Little House On The Prarie. Thank you, Amanda, for the honor of being the recipient of this award.





Do you have any friends from childhood?

When you grow up in such a small town, and have the same kids in your class from preschool to graduation, you're guaranteed to have great relationships that can stand the test of time. Two of my dearest friends are Tina and Gabriele. Gabe and I met on the first day of Kindergarten when the teacher asked her to help the pitiful crying little girl (me) find her name on the cubbies. I sobbed even harder when Gabe asked me if I was Tracy A. or Tracy B. or Traci C. With 3 Tracy's in the class I started my first year of school as Tracy B. and Gabe and I have been friends ever since! Although I haven't been friends with Tina quite as long (we met in 6th grade when we shared a locker), we were actually switched at birth for about 3 minutes. She was born only 12 hours before me and we were the only 2 babies in the nursery. When it was time for my mother to feed her baby, they brought her Tina. A few minutes later the nurse came in with the correct baby, said they made a mistake, and we ended up back in the right families.

What do you value about your friends?

My two friends mentioned above have watched me evolve from a shy school girl, to a confident (and a lot of times bossy) mother of 2 boys. They are always there for me and just a phone call away. I know that I can count on them for their honest opinions and a good laugh. They love me for who I am and I know I don't have to pretend or hide anything from them. My "Washington" (all those I met in WA but most have now moved away) friends will always be close to my heart because we were all first time mommies together and a lot of us were even privileged enough to share in the joy of becoming second time mommies which automatically earns you the new title of professional juggler. These are the friends I know will be there to share in the joy of my sons' accomplishments and my own mommy crisis-es. And of course, there are always my "Navy Wives" friends, my "Church Friends", and my VA friends all of which I consider myself truly luckily to have met and formed a relationship with.

Are they your sounding board?

Well, I think I sorta answered this one already, but yes. Each one of my friends offers me a different outlet for venting, laughing, questioning, reminiscing, and creating. I can depend on all of them to encourage me and lift me up when I've fallen. I am blessed to call each one of them my friend and pray that through all the distance our friendships will remain strong.

What activities do you like to share together?

I guess it should come as no surprise that my favorite activities to do with my friends are almost always child related: playgroups, playground visits, birthday parties, MOPS. Since we really don't have much time without our children around I enjoy spending mommy time together while the kids play.


To keep this award going it's time for me to nominate one of my closest friends for this honor: Amber Wyman. For those of you who know Amber, it goes without saying how truly, amazingly awesome she is! This mommy does it all: cooks, bakes, plans parties, is the financial operator for her husband's business, competes in triatholons, is in a book club, knits, (I could go on forever!) all the while raising 2 very loving children with the best personalities. So of course, it is only appropriate that my nominee is the one who got all of us started blogging in the first place. Amber is my closest (yet furthest away) friend whom I owe so many thanks for being the best neighbor and making my experience in WA the best NAVY tour yet! I miss you so much and am so glad you're flying here next month! Check out Amber's blog for the neatest gadgets, tips on publishing your blog, and updates on her adventures in 'mommyhood'.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh!! I feel SO not worthy! Thank you Tracy, you are so sweet to say such kind things about me. You are a great friend and I'm privileged to know you. Thanks for being such a kind and generous friend that I can always count on!

    I still remember the day you walked down to my house to 'meet the neighbors'. Who knew it would go this far?! See you in less than a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree with you more Tracy. We were all so lucky to have met each other up here in Washington and I have to say that Amber was always the glue that kept us all stuck together. So kudos to Amber and our little playgroup that is still going just with a wee bit of distance in between all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice blog. Congrats on your friend award from Amanda. I hope I get to meet your new friend next month.

    I also agree that Amber deserves this. She is so sweet. All of your friends are special.

    By the way....have you ever heard that saying...."You're not only my mother, you're my friend"???? Just kidding... I know we are friends. Love you so much, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second & third the stuff about Amber...actually about all of you WA moms. Your blogs bring me smiles when I need them, your comments help me to feel understood and offer advice and I wouldn't have traded a second of my Whidbey tour because it gave me such an awesome network of Moms / friends. Thanks to all of you!

    ReplyDelete