Mikie has had an aversion to anything green for quite sometime now. And with his strong will it's hard to convince him to do anything. It seems that no amount of bribing or threat of punishment can get him to change his mind. So I wasn't surprised to have a full blown tantrum wailing in my house when I informed him that today he would have to eat 3 peas (sweet, organic, baby ones even!)before being excused from lunch. I'm glad today was a hot day that warranted our windows being shut and the air conditioner turned on because if anyone had heard us I know they would have thought I had him locked in a torture chamber. It took over 45 minutes (and 1 extra pea added for a total of 4 because he smashed the other 3) before he finally said, "Mommy will you hold me and put them in my mouth?" Ok!!! Boagie had coached him over the phone to hold his nose and swallow them quickly. He tried that and you guessed it......GAGGED! He not only gagged, but almost started foaming at the mouth. Each time I would shove them in, out they would come still in a small green ball shape along with a spew of saliva . After many attempts, and thankfully no vomit, I buried one in a small blob of ketchup and offered it to him on a spoon. "Cover it all the way up, Mommy." So more ketchup was added to disguise the pea and with tears (and snot) streaming down his face we had success!!! All 4 peas went down and it only took 4 teaspoons of ketchup to win this fight.
He hasn't been forced to try too many things...
it's time to start changing that....
I've got my bottle of ketchup...let the battles begin!!!!!


Wow, I had a lot of catching up to do on your blog. :-) I love the picture with the butterfly on your mom's face and the dragonfly on Mikie's head. Those are really cute and funny. Zachary with the apple is adorable. The drawings that Mikie and Zach made are definitely keepers. Too cute.
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to show me how to add a slideshow to my blog. That is really cool!
Ok, that is perhaps the funniest thing I have read so far. Probably because I know Mikie, so I totally pictured this battle of wills that was going on. I just can't get the picture out of my head!! Hilarious!! (Sorry Mikie, for laughing at your torture, but maybe someday you can appreciate it?!?!)
ReplyDeleteTracy - Reading about the peas made me think about when you and Trisha came to our house and you didn't want to drink your milk. Oh my! Love, Aunt Doris
ReplyDeleteYou go girl...doesn't it feel good to win a battle or two!
ReplyDelete