Thursday, August 14, 2008

Monday's Marker Mess

Seeing Steph's pictures of her boys playing around the house made me realize that I don't grab my camera very often to just capture our everyday lives. I always remember to take it when we go places but I thought I would just share a few fun teachable moments we try to squeeze in whenever we can:
Mikie really enjoys workbooks. Here he is doing a Dr. Seuss counting book. Notice the pencil color choice? I love it! I may not have my girl....but I still get to enjoy somethings PINK.

One day, while trying to do my Bible study, Mikie decided he didn't need a nap and wanted to keep me company. My study involved Moses and the 10 commandments, so I told Mikie if he wasn't going to nap he needed to have Bible study time too. We got out his toddler Bible and found the story of Moses writing down God's word. I read to him and he took turns reading to me and then we discussed the rules God gave us. Then I wrote them out (in very simple terms) on 2 pieces of paper, cut it to look like stone tablets, and then Mikie poured coffee on it to make it look like parchment paper. After they were dry, we taped them to thewall at his level so he could always remember what God wants us to do. Here he is pointing to the ones he needs to work on:
Commandment # 5, 6, & 10.
After that, he asked for markers and paper. I asked him what he wanted to draw and he told me, "I'm going to make Moses and the 10 Commandments". Isn't that great!?! Praise God that he was so interested in this lesson! Now just keep praying that they will start to make a difference in his behavior.
His finished masterpiece...complete with numbers 1-10 and a 3 year old's spelling of "Mommee". I will treasure this drawing forever! What a great opportunity God gave us today!
Well....Zachary woke up from his nap and wanted to get in on the fun too....I'm so glad they make WASHABLE, NON-TOXIC markers!His mouth is not normally fushia colored.... Let's had some black & blue so it looks like Mommy beats me.

Zachary's first drawing at 13 months. His color choices sorta resemble Mikie's favorites! Will I have another pink loving boy?
While I was taking pictures of Zachary's messy face, out of the corner of my eye I see Mikie trying to steal the spotlight or should I say "digital flash".....

Dark pink on one side!


Light pink on the other.

My sink basin sure was pretty after this day!

2 comments:

  1. Cute cute pictures!! Sometimes just those everyday moments are the best ones. I loved your ten commandments activity - you can so tell that you are a teacher!!!! And I'm really impressed by Mikie's writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really impressed by Mikie's writing too! Gunner won't even hold a marker/pencil/crayon the right way...probably because I try to get him to..stubborn bugger! I am happy when he draws a circle or square! I also wish I was as creative as you at thinking up activities!

    ReplyDelete