Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Twister on Tuesday Field Trip #23

Another field trip that just so happen to coincide with our trip to Iowa was "Twister On Tuesday." Jack and Annie encounter a tornado while visiting a one room school house dugout in the plains of Kansas. My childhood home was struck by a tornado in 1984. I knew Iowa was the perfect place for our field trip and since we were going home for the fourth of July it worked out wonderfully. This turned out to be a 4 part field trip.
Part I
Upon landing at the airport, we drove 30 minutes to Bettendorf, IA to the family museum where they had a weather exhibit with a 10 foot tall tornado. Here's a video of Mikie reading about tornadoes:




The 10 foot tall tornado




Touching a tornado!

And another video:


We were in luck, they also had a dinosaur exhibit visiting the museum:





Boagie's adorable little hood ornament
Along with fun comes learning too!

Not only did Boagie get to accompany us on this field trip, but so did her sister (the boy's Great Aunt Joy!)
Part II
I have a cousin who pulled some strings and got us a personal tour of a T.V. station with meteorologist Frank Scaglione (pronounced sky-own) of Channel 8 in Des Moines, Iowa.

Mikie on the set of KCCI Channel 8.

He stood by the green screen and was projected on the camera!

The 5 Day forecast with Michael K. Jones V!

Mr. Scaglione went to the basement to bring up a weather vane and barometer since it was in our book.

He showed Mikie videos of tornadoes, discussed the rating system, told him about high and low pressure systems, and almost everything else about weather you could ever want to know.
Thank you, cousin Dennis, for arranging this part of the field trip. We all learned a lot and got some great pictures!
Part III
Living in a small town has it's advantages. For example, in the Magic Tree House book, they described the school house as a dugout built into the side of a hill. Only a few miles out of town, there is a family who lives in one of these houses dug out of the side of the ground. After a quick phone call and a short drive, Mikie was standing on the hill by their house for the last picture of our field trip:
Part IV
The last part of our field trip I regrettably didn't get any pictures of. (Mom, if you get a chance to scan some and send them I'll upload them here) My dad sat down with Mikie and the photo album with pictures from the 1984 tornado and showed him the damage that a powerful storm could do.
The night of the tornado we were not at home. My parents, sister, and I were at McDonalds in the town closest to ours (30 minutes away). After eating, my dad went to the car while the 3 of us went to the restroom. I still remember walking out of the store with him honking the horn to tell us to hurry up. He'd just heard on the radio that a tornado was headed toward our town. As it turns out, we followed that tornado home. Before reaching our house, we came upon an overturned car and took those people to the hospital before heading home. When we reached our driveway, that used to be lined with close to 30 trees, my grandmother was waiting and worrying while the men had gone inside to look for us. I was only 7 and wasn't fully comprehending what was going on, but I could tell by the emotion and power in her hug, which left me gasping for air, that we were a welcome sight! Only 2 of the 30 trees were left standing down our lane and the people searching for us had to climb over all of them to get to our house. Many of my father's farm buildings and machinery were destroyed or damaged. All of the windows in our house were blown out and the north wall had several boards sticking through it. But for a 7 year old, the most devastating thing I remember was that our swing set was a twisted mess that couldn't be fixed.
Many months later, our farm was rebuilt and our house doubled in size. My sister and I went from sharing a room to each having our own. Our long lane became baron and hot on those long walks to the bus stop and to this day only has a few trees on one side. The tornado may have taken buildings, machinery, and trees, but our God kept us safe in the town next door. Oh, and that swing set? Well, it was replaced with a bigger and better one and this time it had monkey bars!

2 comments:

  1. wow, what a crazy, scary experience! Amazing that you were not home when it happened. Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe a 5 year old can read this good. (Mikie is extrodinary.) Thank you for including me in another field trip. I love going on them but they make me feel I was so inferior as a mother when you were little.

    I learned so much at the news station. (You always know the right connections.)

    Hope Mikie never has to witness this field trip first hand like you did twenty years ago.

    ReplyDelete