Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mikie's Birthday Day

Mikie's actual birthday was 2 days before his big party. Here's what we did: He woke up and opened presents. Here's a video of one of his favorite gifts:

For breakfast, he had a Cinnabon pecanbon roll that we got at the airport when we picked up Boagie.

Then I went to MOPS for 2 hours and Boagie took the boys to Chuck E Cheese.

After lunch with the mouse, we drove to the airport to pick up our friends who flew all the way from Washington State.
Tate was a little overwhelmed and hid behind Miss Amber and Ayden.
Then we ate at the California Pizza Kitchen while waiting for Michael to arrive.
For dessert, Mikie got strawberry cheesecake.

And the Wymans split a sundae.
Some people might feel a little sad when their child reaches the age that requires an entire handful of fingers be held up when he/she is asked "How old are you?" But I, well... I'm so excited that he is 5 years old!!!!!! He's finally reached my favorite age. True, he no longer asks to be held unless his legs are too tired from walking...and, he doesn't want to sit on your lap unless there aren't any seats left....and, you can no longer use the secret spelling code when talking with another grown up....but, he still lets you kiss him in public and hold his hand just because...he still needs to be comforted when he gets hurt and have me tell him when the sad parts of the movie are over....he still asks permission to eat candy that someone has handed him and more often than not remembers his 'please' and 'thank-yous.' He has an amazing gift from God that allows him to manipulate numbers, read chapter books and pronounce words that I can't even spell (like enthusiastically), remember numerous facts on a wide variety of topics (although Dinosaur trivia interests him the most), and can get a hole in one almost every time we go to a mini-golf course. Yes, I am very glad he's finally five!

3 comments:

  1. Happy 5th Birthday Mikie!!! I am so glad I could spend your birthday week with you. It was so fun playing at Chuck E Cheese with you & Zachary.

    I'm glad you liked the bowling pin set and it was funny how the bird got so excited also.

    The smiles on all the kids with their desserts were priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "look on the bright side" way of thinking about him getting older. It's so easy to cry and be upset about them growing, but I like the idea of celebrating it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they get more fun the older they get! What a smart five year old boy he has grown into..you have so much to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete