Friday, January 22, 2010

Field Trip #15 Monastery

When I tell you the name of the Magic Tree House book Mikie finished reading right before his birthday, you're going to wonder why we visited a Monastery. In book #15: Viking Ships at Sunrise, the main characters travel back to ancient Ireland and help save a Monastery from an attack by Vikings.

Again, living in this area it wasn't hard to find the perfect field trip. My mom was flying in to help us celebrate Mikie's upcoming birthday; so, on the day that she arrived we took advantage of the nice weather and extra set of hands and rode the metro to the Franciscan Monastery . After walking around the gardens, which would be so pretty in the spring, we took an hour long tour of the Monastery where I witnessed with my own ears a miracle of God: BOTH OF MY BOYS WERE QUIET AND WELL BEHAVED FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR!

Zachary stayed awake in the airport, while eating lunch, on the metro, and on the 15 minute walk to the Monastery, but fell asleep 1 minute before we walked through the gates. He slept for 30 minutes before the tour started and woke up as soon as the guide began speaking. Beautiful picture of the hand of God.



Mikie shows a picture of a monk in his book.

I was really hoping to be able to talk with one of the monks, but all we were able to do was catch a glimpse of one as he walked into another room.
We were able to see an example of their clothing.
Inside the Monastery:
Mikie wanted to know which one of the thieves asked Jesus for forgiveness and would spend eternity in paradise with him. Can you tell which one?
Answer: The one on the right that has light behind him.

Another great field trip that Boagie was able to be a part of!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you let me join you on this trip. I really enjoyed it and it was wonderful to see God's work through your sons. Mikie's question was great. I am so proud of him.

    I'll always remember walking back to the metro and all of us being silly and asking the question "??? would you like a pine cone?" to anything we saw. M&Z's laughs are so contagious. Thanks again for letting me share another special day with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, another great field trip...when I read that one to Gunner I was wondering how you would do a field trip for that book! Great job as usual!

    ReplyDelete