When Mikie told me that he wanted another mini-golf birthday party this year, I can honestly say that I wasn't surprised. The child lives and breathes (and just recently dreams) mini-golf. I was also not surprised by his choice of a jungle theme. Two of his favorite animals are jaguars and elephants. I used that as an inspiration for the invitations which I sent all folded up with writing on both sides of the golf ball:
Let out a roar, get ready to score, at Mikie's 5th birthday, jungle/safari mini-golf par-tee.

It took us almost 11 hours to set up this year. We decorated from 11 am until 10 pm and then went home and decorated the cakes until 2:00 in the morning. Even though that seems late, it was still 2 hours earlier than last year's 4:00am finish time.
Mikie sees his golf course for the first time:
Welcome to the jungle:

Monkeys hung from the lights:

Butterflies flew in circles attached to the ceiling fans
Grab a ball, club, scorecard and personalized pencil:
I made the scorecards with my cricut:
Practice hole:
Hole #1 JAGUAR:

The jaguar tail spiraled around as an obstacle:

Zachary shows you how it's done:
Tate may start to enjoy this sport after all:
Hole #2 GIRAFFE
Felt mats at each tee area to match the theme:


Hole #3 ELEPHANTS
Super Boagie (my mom) turned our card table into an elephant:

Mikie said that was his favorite hole.


Hole #4 ZEBRA
This hole had two log tunnels:

A frog popped out of the hole this year:

Hole #5 SNAKES
Mikie wanted the last hole to "eat the balls" so we turned a dryer vent hose and funnel into a hungry snake.

Let out a roar, get ready to score, at Mikie's 5th birthday, jungle/safari mini-golf par-tee.
It took us almost 11 hours to set up this year. We decorated from 11 am until 10 pm and then went home and decorated the cakes until 2:00 in the morning. Even though that seems late, it was still 2 hours earlier than last year's 4:00am finish time.
Mikie sees his golf course for the first time:
Welcome to the jungle:
Monkeys hung from the lights:
Butterflies flew in circles attached to the ceiling fans
Grab a ball, club, scorecard and personalized pencil:
I made the scorecards with my cricut:
Practice hole:
Hole #1 JAGUAR:
The jaguar tail spiraled around as an obstacle:
Zachary shows you how it's done:
Tate may start to enjoy this sport after all:
Hole #2 GIRAFFE
Felt mats at each tee area to match the theme:

Hole #3 ELEPHANTS
Super Boagie (my mom) turned our card table into an elephant:
Mikie said that was his favorite hole.

Hole #4 ZEBRA
This hole had two log tunnels:
A frog popped out of the hole this year:
Hole #5 SNAKES
Mikie wanted the last hole to "eat the balls" so we turned a dryer vent hose and funnel into a hungry snake.
The hallway was lined with jungle print paper and lit by black lights again. This year rain forest sounds played on the hidden sound machine.
There were 4 different crafts for the kids to make, but my boys weren't interested in any of them. They played mini-golf from the moment they walked in the door until the time we had to tear it all down. Here are the crafts the other kids enjoyed:
Footprint Bookmarks: I found the cutest elephant and gorilla rubber figurines that had stamps for feet.
These cute animal stand-ups were made by punching out and assembling a giraffe, a lion, an elephant, and a jaguar (cheetah actually).
There were jungle picture frames to color.
Wiggly wooden snakes were fun to paint and then watch glow under the blacklights in hole five.
Lenny puts the animals on the rainforest flannel board.
Games:
Dig through the grass & golf balls in the bucket to find one animal that was represented from each hole.
Pin the ball in the hole. Choice of 4 different holes with matching ball: Zebra, Tiger, Jaguar, Giraffe.
The blindfold was an elephant mask with the eye holes covered.
Feed the Hungry Elephant: Toss peanuts into the elephant bag.
Pass the camera (like hot potato) and look inside to see a jungle animal. Find the jungle animal around the room and then go rescue a stuffed animal from under a net.
The prizes & crafts: Widlife bags, stuffed animal, trumpeting elephant, elephant blow-out, stickers, 5 plastic animals, slap bracelet, animal punching baloon.
I found animal skin print material that matched each of the themes of the 5 holes so I used them as tablecloths.
The golf ball lollipops were such a huge hit last year, I had to do them again. This year, I added a bag of peanuts as the elephant food.

The golf ball chocolates made another appearance this year.
Right before I moved from Whidbey Island 3 years ago, I suggested to my very dear friend, Amber, that we should visit each other every January and May for our boys' birthdays. She agreed to the idea and has made it to every birthday party since. Thanks so much, Amber! We are all blessed by your friendship and Mikie is so grateful to get to celebrate with his favorite friend.
Did I mention she flew out here this time with two kids AND she was 6 months pregnant? Yes, she is an AWESOME friend!
The Prey: bone-in ham
Snake Dogs

Gorilla Pops: Chocolate Covered Bananas
Jaguar Tails: Breadsticks with Olives
Jungle Hummus Dip with butterfly crackers and celery trees and broccoli bushes.
Snake Eggs: hard boiled eggs
Python Pasta Salad with snake shaped noodles.
Pepper Butterflies
Animal crakers in Safari Hats




The tree was made from rice krispies, peanut butter, corn syrup, and chocolate candy melts.

The golf balls are candles.
The rocks around the green are edible and the hole is an olive.
Mikie's cake was so enormous, that it hid him when he sat down.



As I was designing this cake in my mind, I suddenly had the urge to make the INSIDE of each cake match the theme of the animal on the outside. So, my elephant cake was a peanut butter cake (becuase elephants eat peanuts):
The Zebra cake was striped with black and white layers:
The Jaguar Cake was butter pecan with spots of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips:
And Mikie wanted a pink cake so the snake cake was pink:
There were 4 different crafts for the kids to make, but my boys weren't interested in any of them. They played mini-golf from the moment they walked in the door until the time we had to tear it all down. Here are the crafts the other kids enjoyed:
Footprint Bookmarks: I found the cutest elephant and gorilla rubber figurines that had stamps for feet.
These cute animal stand-ups were made by punching out and assembling a giraffe, a lion, an elephant, and a jaguar (cheetah actually).
There were jungle picture frames to color.
Wiggly wooden snakes were fun to paint and then watch glow under the blacklights in hole five.
Lenny puts the animals on the rainforest flannel board.Games:
Dig through the grass & golf balls in the bucket to find one animal that was represented from each hole.
Pin the ball in the hole. Choice of 4 different holes with matching ball: Zebra, Tiger, Jaguar, Giraffe.
The blindfold was an elephant mask with the eye holes covered.
Feed the Hungry Elephant: Toss peanuts into the elephant bag.
Pass the camera (like hot potato) and look inside to see a jungle animal. Find the jungle animal around the room and then go rescue a stuffed animal from under a net.
The prizes & crafts: Widlife bags, stuffed animal, trumpeting elephant, elephant blow-out, stickers, 5 plastic animals, slap bracelet, animal punching baloon.
I found animal skin print material that matched each of the themes of the 5 holes so I used them as tablecloths.
The golf ball lollipops were such a huge hit last year, I had to do them again. This year, I added a bag of peanuts as the elephant food.
The golf ball chocolates made another appearance this year.
Right before I moved from Whidbey Island 3 years ago, I suggested to my very dear friend, Amber, that we should visit each other every January and May for our boys' birthdays. She agreed to the idea and has made it to every birthday party since. Thanks so much, Amber! We are all blessed by your friendship and Mikie is so grateful to get to celebrate with his favorite friend.
Did I mention she flew out here this time with two kids AND she was 6 months pregnant? Yes, she is an AWESOME friend!The Food:
Among all the other major and minor details of the party that couldn't be completed with my fabulous mother, the food has/is/always will be (please?) her specialty. I didn't get a chance to set out any of the food before the guests started arriving, and by the time I made my way over there, Super Boagie had it all laid out. Of course, I like sticking with the theme:
The Prey: bone-in ham
Snake Dogs
Gorilla Pops: Chocolate Covered Bananas
Jaguar Tails: Breadsticks with Olives
Jungle Hummus Dip with butterfly crackers and celery trees and broccoli bushes.
Snake Eggs: hard boiled eggs
Python Pasta Salad with snake shaped noodles.
Pepper Butterflies
Animal crakers in Safari HatsI had a lot of fun thinking of all the food to represent the theme, but most of those ideas came from the internet. The one thing I am going to claim bragging rights to is my cake idea.


(Super Boagie made the jungle print tablecloth)

It's not so much the outside of my cake that is originial, but the insides. Let me explain: Mikie wanted 5 cakes because he's five (I'm telling people it was his idea, but I think you know who the real crazy person is). I wanted each cake to be decorated like the animal at each hole and found edible images that just happen to be sold in the exact three degsigns I needed (jaguar, giraffe, and zebra). For the elephant, I used gray frosting and gave it texture with a paper towel. For the snake, I made grass and snakes from hard icing.

The tree was made from rice krispies, peanut butter, corn syrup, and chocolate candy melts.
The golf balls are candles.
The rocks around the green are edible and the hole is an olive.
Mikie's cake was so enormous, that it hid him when he sat down.


As I was designing this cake in my mind, I suddenly had the urge to make the INSIDE of each cake match the theme of the animal on the outside. So, my elephant cake was a peanut butter cake (becuase elephants eat peanuts):
The Zebra cake was striped with black and white layers:
The Jaguar Cake was butter pecan with spots of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips:The Giraffe Cake was a chocolate and yellow checkerboard:
And Mikie wanted a pink cake so the snake cake was pink:








Tracy, this was a fantastic party as usual! You are so creative and energetic. :-) Mikie and Zachary are so lucky to have such a great mommy. I loved the big elephant. The picture of Mikie under it is adorable. The cakes were amazing! My goodness, I can't imagine all the work that went in to those.
ReplyDeleteMy kids had a blast! They still play with their jaguars. They love them. The slap bracelets were a huge hit too. Thanks so much for inviting us!
Oh, can't forget the food. It was all yummy and very clever. Some things I missed, so I was glad that you described everything on your blog.
WOW x 5 = A GREAT, SUCCESSFUL, AWESOME 5th Birthday Party for a SPECIAL BOY!!!
ReplyDeleteThe decorations, games, crafts, and food was wonderful but the cake topped it all. Even I would have never thought to make the inside coordinate with the outside. Looks like something you should see on a television food channel or some cake book. Maybe you should submit it to one.
The pictures were great and you could tell by all of Mikie's smiles he was very happy and pleased at all your hard work and ideas.
Everyone had a fantastic time and so many compliments went your way. Thanks for letting me be a special part of it.
All I can say is "Wow!!" I am sitting here trying to think of a few simple ideas for Calvin's Lego party and I can't begin to imagine how much time you put into putting that party together. Wow! Everything was awesome and I have to say your cakes were outstanding. So impressed by the five different insides to match the animals. I don't know how you keep topping the previous year's party... I bet Mikie (and all the kids) had a fantastic time!
ReplyDeleteAmazing...wish we could have been there!!! Those cakes were truly inspired...I never think I can be more impressed at every party you throw and idea you come up with, but I am...GREAT JOB!!!!
ReplyDelete