Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whidbey Moms Weekend (1st Annual)

While living on Whidbey Island, WA I met some incredible women with whom I hope to remain life long friends. The bond we share is also the reason for our meeting. All seven of us were first time mommies to boys. Since we did only have one child at that time, we all decided to sign up for a mommy and baby swim class when they were just under a year old. After meeting at the Oak Harbor pool, we quickly became friends and started our little weekly playgroup where the boys bonded just as much as we did.

Here is a picture of us at the swim class in 2006.
Amber & Tate, Carrie & Gunner, Stephanie & Calvin, (swim instructor), Holley & Grant, Tracy & Mikie, Lynn & Jack

Over the years, we shared many funny stories and parenting strategies, sampled several delicious recipes, celebrated numerous birthdays and other holidays, enjoyed some girl's nights out/in, and even got to rejoice together as we welcomed baby #2 into most of our lives (Holley, I hope I don't end up jinxing you by writing that). Even though I was falling in love with Whidbey Island, I know that it was because of these amazing women that my two years in WA were some of the best years of my life. Those times are the ones that I reflect back on and long for almost every single day.
After becoming so close, slowly the military families started moving away and the playgroup began to dwindle. With each new good-bye the tears fell a little harder and the heart ache became a little deeper. Carrie & Gunner moved to Virginia, Leah & Ethan moved to Florida, Stephanie & Calvin (& Luke) moved to Texas, Lynn & Jack (& Bradley) moved to Texas as well, and I (along with my two boys) was drug kicking and screaming back to the D.C. area. Only Holley & Grant and Amber & Tate (& Ayden) were spared the torture of leaving their "home" behind because they had married civilian men.
It didn't take long for all of us to realize that we would indeed still be there for each other even though the miles now separated us. So, it only seemed natural for us all to plan a weekend get together and meet in the middle (if you can call Corpus Christi, TX the middle). But it was also so unnatural in the fact that we did NOT have our children in tow. That's right it was truly a GET-AWAY from the kids. All but one of the original seven of us made it for this trip. (We missed you terribly, Leah!)
It began on Thursday when I dropped my boys off with my Virginia friend and neighbor Kim who agreed to watch the boys until Michael got off of work despite getting ready to go to the airport herself that afternoon (Thank you, Kim!!!). This would be the longest I had ever been away from my kids but was so ready for a much needed break. I cannot remember the last time I was able to drive for an hour and listen to my music as opposed to children's songs, or sit at the airport gate and read a book, and don't even get me started on how enjoyable it was to be able to ask the flight attendant for hot tea with two cups of ice (to make my own iced tea of course) without worrying about crunching up ice for two little eager mouths while juggling a hot liquid in a confined space with an octopus boy sitting on my lap. Ahh yes, traveling was EASY again.
All four of us arrived at the Corpus Christi airport within hours of each other and then headed to Steph's house for a delicious BBQ. Later that night we checked into the Port Royal condos and melted our cares away in the resort hot tub.
After a good night's sleep that lasted way past dawn (an unheard of phenomenon once you become a mother) we ate lunch and shopped in the town of Port Aransas.

For our lunch at "Virginia's on the Water," we were accompanied by one of my most favorite 3 year olds in the world! Lynn had her two boys with her until her husband could get off of work later in the afternoon and I was thrilled to listen to Jack's vivid imagination and funny remarks. The first thing he said to me when they picked me up from the airport was "Where's Mikie?" and then he kept asking when he could see Mikie again someday. I'm so glad Lynn will be bringing the boys to this area for a wedding in June. I cannot wait to hear the conversations Mikie and Jack will have and watch Zachary and Bradley play together.

On our shopping adventure, we stumbled across this sign:

The next two pictures are of us in front of beach shops. We each found a souvenir for our kids back home and some of us even did a little shopping for ourselves.



That evening, or I should say night (Since we didn't get to the restaurant until 9:00...which is actually bedtime for a lot of us back home) we got all dolled up and dinned at either Mimi's By the Sea or Johnny D's depending on whether you looked at the sign out front or the sign on the door. We had great food and even better laughs but never did figure out what the place was really called.

The next day was again started after the rooster crowed (or the seagull's cry since we were right on the beach). Here we are having lunch on our balcony before spending the rest of the afternoon baking in the hot Texas sun by the cool of the pool with a frozen fruity drink or two.

Another friend of mine, whom I originally met in Hawaii 5 years ago and then introduced to our playgroup in Whidbey, also moved to Corpus Christi and was able to meet up with us for a few hours. Julie's two girls were so incredibly adorable. It was fun catching up with her and made me long even harder for the daughter I will someday be blessed with.

After frying in the sun all afternoon, we decided the best way to end the night was with some fried Mexican food from La Playa. Ever heard of a deep fried avocado?

Finally, it was back to the hotel where we changed into our pajamas and played board games until the wee hours of the morning.

Holley and Stephanie

Me and Lynn


Sunday came all to0 soon and we were forced to say goodbye once again. However, we did decide that WHIDBEY MOMS WEEKEND would now become an annual event and have already determined Virginia Beach to be next year's destination.

I had one more friend I wanted to see before I left. Michelle and I met in Whidbey through the squadron and our church. She is single handily the most loving example of a Christian mother I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I admire her immensely and pray that her enthusiasm and ability to teach her boys through Christ's words and examples would be a light for all to see (especially me!). I'm thankful that we were able to catch up in such a short time while waiting for my flight to leave.

9 comments:

  1. You did such a great job. You summed our weekend up much better than I did and you remembered the names of that restaurant! Great job!

    Thanks for being my roomie! Our talks were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, you definitely captured everything we did that weekend perfectly! It was such a pleasure to get to know you a little better on our weekend...you are my example of a wonderful and loving Christian Mom, and my creative inspiration too! I am so sad I forgot MY camera that weekend!
    Can't wait til next year ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing the photo of where it all began - in the pool - was a perfect start to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect blog for the first annual girl's weekend retreat. The smiles on all the faces told the story well...fun & relaxation was had by all. All you lovely ladies were gorgeous in your pics. Thought the hibiscus in the hair of some and the Island Women sign was cute.

    Remember the half way point would probably be Iowa and our house (farm) is ALWAYS WELCOME TO ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to tell you I really love your home page background & the boys pic is adorable. Only 8 more days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did do a great job with this post Tracy! I enjoyed reading about all of our fun activities. For a moment there I thought I might see a picture of your fried avocado. Thanks for being the "historian" and capturing all those memories for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I meant to also say that the Easter picture of the boys is absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a beautiful woman, Tracy, inside and out! It looks like you had a great time :) I am always a tad envious of ladies who have such strong bonds with other ladies like this, since I don't really. lol What a great tradition for ya'll! :)

    Btw, you have an award waiting for you on my blog :)

    http://myseriouslyridiculouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to tell you... looking at the first picture it is amazing how so many of the mother's second children look just like the first. I would have thought it was Zachary not Mikie.

    ReplyDelete