If I had to pick one thing that I DO like about living in Virginia, it would be the beautiful colors of fall. It always has been my favorite time of year, but around here it is so much more vibrant than anything I ever saw in the Midwest. I just always forget that the peak comes a lot later than it does in Iowa. That is, except for up in the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley. We missed the peak time this year and ended up seeing a lot of brown on the road while we were driving Skyline Drive.
The kids needed to get out of the car, so we were looking for a hike through the forest, when we came upon "Big Meadow." Immediately, Mikie said, "I want to run in that. Look at all the trails. I want to run on those paths." Realizing that we probably weren't going to find a trail with "color" I resigned to the idea that this may be our "autumn memory" this year, and we all unloaded out of the car. If only I had known just how much we would all end up enjoying ourselves in this vast field of tall grass and milkweed pods!



Blowing the milk weed seeds brought a lot of laughter and fun to our day.
Watching my boys chase each other in the paths and playing tag, was like watching two fawns frolic...






That evening we stayed in New Market and ate at the Johnny Appleseed Restaurant. Michael had told me about this unique eatery for several years and now I can finally say that I have eaten there. This turned out to be an impromptu field trip because Mikie was learning about Johnny Appleseed in kindergarten.








Later that day, we headed back to Skyline Drive, determined to find a hike through the forest. We decided to try an easy hike to Rose Falls. Upon pulling into the parking lot, I didn't have much hope of this one having any color either since all the trees around us were mostly brown or bare. But oh how I was wrong.........
The boys were holding hands walking backwards which gave me a great opportunity to snap these pictures. (Note to self: if you want good walking pictures just have them walk backwards! Then your subjects are coming toward you!)
Along our walk, we found an apple tree which we had to climb and pick a few for a little snack.


We reach the falls...
The kids needed to get out of the car, so we were looking for a hike through the forest, when we came upon "Big Meadow." Immediately, Mikie said, "I want to run in that. Look at all the trails. I want to run on those paths." Realizing that we probably weren't going to find a trail with "color" I resigned to the idea that this may be our "autumn memory" this year, and we all unloaded out of the car. If only I had known just how much we would all end up enjoying ourselves in this vast field of tall grass and milkweed pods!


Blowing the milk weed seeds brought a lot of laughter and fun to our day.
Watching my boys chase each other in the paths and playing tag, was like watching two fawns frolic...a picture I want in my memory forever!
At the end of the meadow was a small forest where we forged our own path through seeding weeds and climbed fallen trees.
Video:






Videos:
That evening we stayed in New Market and ate at the Johnny Appleseed Restaurant. Michael had told me about this unique eatery for several years and now I can finally say that I have eaten there. This turned out to be an impromptu field trip because Mikie was learning about Johnny Appleseed in kindergarten.
Video:
In the morning, we headed to the battlefield of New Market and found 3 beautiful trees outside the entrance where we made more "autumn memories" by having a leaf fight.



Video:




Later that day, we headed back to Skyline Drive, determined to find a hike through the forest. We decided to try an easy hike to Rose Falls. Upon pulling into the parking lot, I didn't have much hope of this one having any color either since all the trees around us were mostly brown or bare. But oh how I was wrong.........
The boys were holding hands walking backwards which gave me a great opportunity to snap these pictures. (Note to self: if you want good walking pictures just have them walk backwards! Then your subjects are coming toward you!)video:
Along our walk, we found an apple tree which we had to climb and pick a few for a little snack.

We reach the falls...Our weekend filled with hidden treasures and beautiful memories has come to an end.










What gorgeous photos!!!! They are ALL so GOOD!!! LOVE the colors! The videos were awesome. Loved Mikie's cute laugh on the leaf throwing and Zachary having to get EVERY milk weed pod seed out! Funny how Johnny Appleseed was both educational & advertising ha,ha.
ReplyDeleteLove the way Mikie can usually find numbers on his field trips :)