Whenever I return from a girl's night out around here, Michael always asks me if I had a good time. Up until tonight, my answer has always been "It was ok. I haven't had 'fun' since I left all my friends on Whidbey Island." But after a night filled with splatter paint shirts, bleached tight rolled jeans, bangle jewlery, Razzle candy gum, Madonna songs, and lots and lots of hairspray, I was able to come home and answer that question with "Yes! I really DID have FUN!" All of this was thanks to Amanda for inviting me to her 80's themed birthday party. I've only captured a small portion of what the night entailed in my post, but if you just can't get enough neon here then be sure to check out Amanda's blog.

Me with the birthday girl!
The fun began even before the party started when we got to put together our "outfit." I remember wearing bright pink spandex leggings a lot in the 80's and early 90's so that was my starting point. I walked into Kohls and was immediately brought back to my childhood when I found this cute neon Care Bear shirt. A quick glance around and it didn't take long to find some neon pink leggings (although they weren't spandex).
To complete my Rainbow Brite look, I added mismatched neon shoe laces to my Keds and tied my shirt in a side knot. I wanted a t-shirt slide, but those just haven't made their comeback, yet. And of course, no party is complete unless Super Boagie can save the day, which she did by mailing me my original 1988 legwarmers. Gather my frizz with a scrunchie in a side ponytail, spray until 6 inches tall, and volia "I'm a Ma-material Girl!"
I told Michael that it was the rad music, the tubular outfits, the yummy food, and the great friendship that made this party "like totally awesome," but secretly it was all because I finally gave in to peer pressure:

"Hey you wanna cigarette?"

"Like, all the really cool kids are doing it...."
"There can't be any harm in having just one....shhh...it's our candy secret!"
Everyone looked great and even Alf made it to the party.
Of course, what's an 80's party without an 80's cake. And yes, it tasted just as good as it looks! To wrap up the night, we played an 80's version of name that tune mixed with a little 80's trivia (which my husband would have totally won had it been a co-ed party). Amanda's sister-in-law made us all 80's mixed CD's and mine has found its way into the 'most favored CD's played in the mini-van' category. Thanks so much, Amanda, for the blast from the past and a girl's night to remember. I'm honored to be included in your life! Happy Birthday!


Aww, you are so sweet! I was so glad you came, and your outfit was totally rad. ;) It really was a fun night...I'm blessed to have some good friends. :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great time! I love your outfit, you did a great job of putting it together. I can't believe you found so much stuff just walking into Kohls!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a really groovy time :) Pretty sad that I still have some of your clothes from the 80's still at my house...but I guess somethings do come in handy. (Wish you would have asked me to send you a t-shirt slide. I found some of them in the dress up clothes also ;0)
ReplyDelete