"Vacation?" Part III (see previous posts)
The puking stopped, but the rain started. When we woke up on Thursday, Zachary had gone about 12 hours without vomiting but was still very warn down. Since it was raining, we took the time to eat breakfast at the buffet in our hotel (Shades of Green Military Resort) and contemplated our next move. The rain let up as we were finishing our waffles; so, we decided to stick with our original plan and went to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The day was overcast and cool, but very comfortable.
Looking at this picture, you can see that Zachary lost some weight from not eating but he was still drinking and keeping hydrated. He was either being pushed in the stroller or carried all day since he didn't have any energy. He is so itty bitty!
We met Timon from the Lion King.
And the boys' favorite: Goofy!
We met Winnie-The-Pooh...
...and Tigger too!
Looking at this picture, you can see that Zachary lost some weight from not eating but he was still drinking and keeping hydrated. He was either being pushed in the stroller or carried all day since he didn't have any energy. He is so itty bitty!
We met Timon from the Lion King.
And the boys' favorite: Goofy!
We met Winnie-The-Pooh...
...and Tigger too!There were occasional sprinkles and of course raindrops falling from the trees. One of them landed on Zachary's jacket and formed:
a perfect heart!
The boys had the most fun in dinoland.
To enter you walked under a long neck dino.
Once up the stairs, you could also walk through him! Mikie loved it because long necks are his favorite.
Most of the slides at the dinoland playground were closed due to the rain, but we walked through and took a few pictures anyway.
The boys received their Animal Kingdom passports at an education station and had to complete tasks in each "land" to get their stamps. Here Mikie is matching up jawbones of different dinos.

They each played two games and won a stuffed animal.
Zachary threw the balls into the colored cups and won this very large dragon.
Mikie played the ball racing game and won a small green turtle.
Again, this would have been the perfect field trip for one of his upcoming books: Tigers At Twilight.
Zachary seemed to be doing better so I encouraged him to eat a few pretzles from our trailmix that I had brought. Oops! They didn't sit well and he ended up throwing up again two more times. Thankfully, I saw it coming and pulled him out of the stroller so it never got on his clothes.
On our way into the park (picture above taken at that time), we noticed they had a Rainforest Cafe so we went ahead and made reservations for 4:30. At about 2:00 the rain got a little heavier. We ducked and dodged under awnings and into stores to get to the Finding Nemo show at 3:15. When the show was finished, it was pouring! With the stroller soaked, no raincoats or umbrellas, and no sign of the rain stopping, the only thing we could do was make a beeline for the Rainforest Cafe. I was now feeling like the world's worst mother because I had not only taken my puking two year old out into public, but now he was soaking wet and surely pneumonia was about to set in. Dripping wet with two very upset boys, I scoured the Rainforest Cafe for a new pair of pants for Mikie and found nothing. I had brought a change of clothes for Zachary expecting him to have thrown-up on himself earlier and quickly got him into something dry, but Mike was just going to have to tough it out. I think this picture speaks for itself:
Notice the 'two toned' top I have on...just a wee bit wet.
I'm calling this our lucky zebra. It happens to be Zach's favorite animal and we were fortunate enough to sit right next to it. It had now been 24 hours since the onset of Zach's stomach problems. When our food came, he said he was hungry and began eating. I had the plastic bags ready (just in case) but never had to use them....for him at least....read on.....it only gets better! LOL! We had plenty of time to kill before we could catch the next bus back to our hotel so we went ahead and ordered the volcano dessert brownie. Mikie was thoroughly enjoying every bite! Just as he stuck a huge forkful into his mouth, I wiped a bit of chocolate off of his cheek and he immediately began choking. I threw the plastic bag at Michael and was sliding out of the booth to prepare to do the Heimlich when he started spitting it out. There are many times when my child has gagged (just ask Amber), but very few where I have actually been scared. This was one of them. From the look in his eyes, he was scared too. We left the lucky zebra and posed quickly with the elephants before heading back out into the rain to catch our bus (this time under the protection of two umbrellas Michael purchased at the Rainforest store).
As eventful as day 5 was, it pales in comparison to day 6 which began bright and early at 4:00 am to the sound of my husband vomiting in the hotel bathroom. He unfortunately didn't escape with just the chills from day two like we thought he would. An hour later, Mikie wakes up: "Mommy, my tummy hurts." To which I shout, "get in the bathroom!" The toilet is occupied, the sink becomes our target. And in that moment I deem this the worst vacation we've ever had! I spend the next 24 hours feeling sorry for my husband, anticipating when Mikie is going to vomit, calling housekeeping for extra sheets/towels/blankets/etc., washing my hands with scalding hot water every five minutes, spraying every surface with travel sized Lysol I just happened to purchase before this trip began, occupying Zachary with TV/airplane shooters/dino bowling set purchased yesterday, and wishing we would have remembered the charger for my phone so I could at least have access to the Internet.
a perfect heart!
The boys had the most fun in dinoland.
To enter you walked under a long neck dino.
Once up the stairs, you could also walk through him! Mikie loved it because long necks are his favorite.
Most of the slides at the dinoland playground were closed due to the rain, but we walked through and took a few pictures anyway.
The boys received their Animal Kingdom passports at an education station and had to complete tasks in each "land" to get their stamps. Here Mikie is matching up jawbones of different dinos.
They each played two games and won a stuffed animal.
Zachary threw the balls into the colored cups and won this very large dragon.
Mikie played the ball racing game and won a small green turtle.
Again, this would have been the perfect field trip for one of his upcoming books: Tigers At Twilight.
Zachary seemed to be doing better so I encouraged him to eat a few pretzles from our trailmix that I had brought. Oops! They didn't sit well and he ended up throwing up again two more times. Thankfully, I saw it coming and pulled him out of the stroller so it never got on his clothes.
On our way into the park (picture above taken at that time), we noticed they had a Rainforest Cafe so we went ahead and made reservations for 4:30. At about 2:00 the rain got a little heavier. We ducked and dodged under awnings and into stores to get to the Finding Nemo show at 3:15. When the show was finished, it was pouring! With the stroller soaked, no raincoats or umbrellas, and no sign of the rain stopping, the only thing we could do was make a beeline for the Rainforest Cafe. I was now feeling like the world's worst mother because I had not only taken my puking two year old out into public, but now he was soaking wet and surely pneumonia was about to set in. Dripping wet with two very upset boys, I scoured the Rainforest Cafe for a new pair of pants for Mikie and found nothing. I had brought a change of clothes for Zachary expecting him to have thrown-up on himself earlier and quickly got him into something dry, but Mike was just going to have to tough it out. I think this picture speaks for itself:
Notice the 'two toned' top I have on...just a wee bit wet.
I'm calling this our lucky zebra. It happens to be Zach's favorite animal and we were fortunate enough to sit right next to it. It had now been 24 hours since the onset of Zach's stomach problems. When our food came, he said he was hungry and began eating. I had the plastic bags ready (just in case) but never had to use them....for him at least....read on.....it only gets better! LOL! We had plenty of time to kill before we could catch the next bus back to our hotel so we went ahead and ordered the volcano dessert brownie. Mikie was thoroughly enjoying every bite! Just as he stuck a huge forkful into his mouth, I wiped a bit of chocolate off of his cheek and he immediately began choking. I threw the plastic bag at Michael and was sliding out of the booth to prepare to do the Heimlich when he started spitting it out. There are many times when my child has gagged (just ask Amber), but very few where I have actually been scared. This was one of them. From the look in his eyes, he was scared too. We left the lucky zebra and posed quickly with the elephants before heading back out into the rain to catch our bus (this time under the protection of two umbrellas Michael purchased at the Rainforest store).
As eventful as day 5 was, it pales in comparison to day 6 which began bright and early at 4:00 am to the sound of my husband vomiting in the hotel bathroom. He unfortunately didn't escape with just the chills from day two like we thought he would. An hour later, Mikie wakes up: "Mommy, my tummy hurts." To which I shout, "get in the bathroom!" The toilet is occupied, the sink becomes our target. And in that moment I deem this the worst vacation we've ever had! I spend the next 24 hours feeling sorry for my husband, anticipating when Mikie is going to vomit, calling housekeeping for extra sheets/towels/blankets/etc., washing my hands with scalding hot water every five minutes, spraying every surface with travel sized Lysol I just happened to purchase before this trip began, occupying Zachary with TV/airplane shooters/dino bowling set purchased yesterday, and wishing we would have remembered the charger for my phone so I could at least have access to the Internet. Healthy Summary day 5: Mikie-Nebulizer & near choking experience, Zachary-stomach flu, Michael & Tracy-exhausted and expecting the worst
Health Summary day 6: Zachary-recovering, Mikie- Nebulizer & Stomach Flu, Michael- Stomach Flu, Tracy- In constant prayer!



Loved the way you walked through a dinosaur at the entrance. (Maybe an idea for the next bithday party, hint,hint.)
ReplyDeleteSorry about the sharing of the germs with the men in your life. So glad you were strong enough to help everyone in such tight quarters.
The heart looked like God's promise that little Zachary was in his care and on the mend.
Lots of kids have never been to Disneyland/Disneyworld and yours have the lucky experience twice in a years time :)
Your mind is always thinking about the field trips. ha,ha