Knowing that the Olympics were coming up, I made sure Mikie was reading book #16 Hour Of The Olympics in February. The story was actually set in Ancient Greece during the first Olympics, but beggars can't be choosers and I decided this was close enough. This "field trip" actually turned out really well:
On the opening night of the Olympics, we invited Kaitlyn & Lily to spend the night with us and enjoy the activities I had planned (because girls enjoy crafts more anyways!)
The kids colored 5 paper plate rings (did you know they represent the 5 continents in the Olympics. N&S America are considered one and Antarctica isn't counted)
They also made torches with aluminum foil, soda bottles, and tissue paper. Kaitlyn was so cute and excited for the crafts. She even asked what the 3rd craft was going to be. Too bad I only had two!
The kids show off their Olympic rings and torches.
Mikie with his cheesy smile and book.
The children were all VERY excited when I told them we would be watching the torch being lit on the T.V. They climbed up on the couch "in the balcony" (as my children call it) and kept asking if it was time for the Olympics to start yet. (notice Zach has on one sock...he hurt his toe and doesn't like to have it uncovered ever)
Now, I knew I'd have to keep the kids up a little late as the opening ceremonies weren't scheduled to come on until 7:30pm, but what I didn't realize was that the torch lighting wouldn't be until the very end of the presentation 5 hours later! Therefore, our evening went something like this:
7:00 I fast forward the first 3 hours of the recorded Olympic program, we take pictures by the T.V., and the opening ceremony show finally begins

8:00 The kids light each other's torches
8:05 They practice passing the flame to one another (just like on the TV in the background):
8:10 THE OLYMPIC FLAME!!!!!
8:30 We're all dressed, loaded in the mini-van, and headed to bowling to meet Kaitlyn & Lily's parents. First sleep over = A lot of fun + a very late night
The kids colored 5 paper plate rings (did you know they represent the 5 continents in the Olympics. N&S America are considered one and Antarctica isn't counted)
They also made torches with aluminum foil, soda bottles, and tissue paper. Kaitlyn was so cute and excited for the crafts. She even asked what the 3rd craft was going to be. Too bad I only had two!
The kids show off their Olympic rings and torches.
Mikie with his cheesy smile and book.
The children were all VERY excited when I told them we would be watching the torch being lit on the T.V. They climbed up on the couch "in the balcony" (as my children call it) and kept asking if it was time for the Olympics to start yet. (notice Zach has on one sock...he hurt his toe and doesn't like to have it uncovered ever)Now, I knew I'd have to keep the kids up a little late as the opening ceremonies weren't scheduled to come on until 7:30pm, but what I didn't realize was that the torch lighting wouldn't be until the very end of the presentation 5 hours later! Therefore, our evening went something like this:
6:30 Craft #1
7:00 Craft #2
7:15 Questions begin "When are the Olympics going to start?"
7:30 Excitement builds as the T.V. is flipped on
7:40 Questions continue when they learn that an Olympian has lost his life
7:42 I now have to explain the blood they just saw in one of the pictures
7:43 More Questions about why he is dead
7:44 We say a prayer for his family and friends (my attempt to bring closure to the subject)
7:45 The T.V. is muted and we all head to the kitchen for brownies
8:00 We hear that the opening ceremonies will begin in 30 minutes.
8:01 I realize it's going to be a much later night than I had anticipated
8:10 Pajamas are put on and teeth are brushed to "expedite things"
8:20 More Questions about when we're going to see the torch (remember I still thought it would be the first thing in the opening ceremony)
8:30 The opening ceremony begins with pictures of Vancouver and the kids finally have something to "see" on T.V.
8:40 The pretty scenery ends and MORE commentary follows
8:45 The natives are hungry again. We pull out the pretzels.
8:46 I realize we'll have to re-brush their teeth
9:00 The IOC is announced, the flag is marched in, the anthem is sung.
9:10 The children are fading quickly:
9:25 I realize they are coming in alphabetically and we are only on the letter "C"!!!
9:26 I come to terms with the fact that we will not be watching the torch ceremony live (thank goodness for TiVo!)
9:27 Everyone is marched upstairs. Teeth are brushed again. They are all tucked in their beds.
9:30 Giggles coming from Mikie's room where 3 of the 4 are tucked in.
9:31 Zachary is down for the night in his crib alone in his room. 1 down 3 to go.
9:35 I make my first trip upstairs to encourage less talking and more sleeping
9:45 Second trip upstairs and everyone revisits the bathroom to use the potty once more
9:47 Everyone tucked in again. I head downstairs and watch the Olympians from the United States come in.
9:55 I make a third trip upstairs and speak my expectations a little more firmly
10:00 No more noise to be heard. I assume they've all fallen asleep.
10:00 No more noise to be heard. I assume they've all fallen asleep.
10:05 I prepare tomorrow's breakfast: Olympic Ring Donuts
10:25 T.V's turned off, Michael & I head upstairs, exhausted.
10:30 I go in to check on the three and find Lily is STILL awake. She's quiet so I go to bed and don't hear a thing all night.
6:00 a.m. Mikie gets up to use the bathroom and turns on the light, which wakes up Kaitlyn & Lily
6:01 I tell them it is NOT time to wake up, turn off the light, close the door and go back to bed.
6:03 Giggling (I try to ignore it)
6:05 Louder Giggling. I go in and tell them to look at books until I come back to get them.
6:06 I shower & get ready, pondering why in the world they didn't sleep in.
6:30 Zach wakes up. I let them come downstairs.
6:45 Breakfast is served. Krispie Kremes with colored icing:
7:00 I fast forward the first 3 hours of the recorded Olympic program, we take pictures by the T.V., and the opening ceremony show finally begins
8:00 The kids light each other's torches
8:05 They practice passing the flame to one another (just like on the TV in the background):
8:10 THE OLYMPIC FLAME!!!!!
8:30 We're all dressed, loaded in the mini-van, and headed to bowling to meet Kaitlyn & Lily's parents. First sleep over = A lot of fun + a very late night11:00 After bowling, we continued the field trip at the restaurant: Jimmy The Greek
Mikie poses by a statue outside Jimmy The Greek holding his research guide about Ancient Greece.

We learned about the Chariot races in the book and were pleased to see an example of one in the window.

The kids compare the pictures on the menu with the ones in the book.
Mikie even got to meet Jimmy The Greek when he came to our table and signed our book!
Mikie even got to meet Jimmy The Greek when he came to our table and signed our book!



Love the crafts and donuts...so much fun. Especially liked the way they lighted each others torch. Glad Mikie could have some friends enjoy one of his field trips with him. I also liked reading the time frame. I'm with you...I would have thought the torch lighting ceremony was at the beginning too.
ReplyDeleteYou are a saint...I can't imagine having a sleepover yet. I don't even let my own kids sleep in the same room together yet. ;) Missed you this morning at MOPS!!! I didn't see you!
ReplyDelete