Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Allergy FREE

After six months of being on a milk and egg free diet, Zachary went in for more allergy testing on March 4th. We were surprised to hear that he had outgrown his allergies and went back the following week for a milk challenge. He was suppose to drink small amounts of milk in slow increasing increments at the Dr. office to see if he had any reactions. It was a long 3 hours stuck in a room with Lincoln Logs and a T.V./video player when the weather outside was begging for us to come out and play. Unfortunately, Mikie was very sick with bronchitis and on the nebulizer so he just sat and watched 3 hours of Dora, Veggie Tails, and Blues Clues while Zachary screamed about being held captive against his will. How ironic is it that I was at the "Allergy and Asthma Associates of Fredericksburg" for Zach's allergy testing, but Mikie was the one sitting in a chair getting a nebulizer treatment every 4 hours. Everyone looked slightly confused as to whom they were suppose to be treating that day. The nurses truly felt sorry for me and I think they sped things along because they could see how torturous it was on all of us. Of course, just as I suspected, Zachary wouldn't cooperate and drink any of the milk; so, I had to shoot it down his throat with a syringe every 20 minutes. I was honestly suspecting a runny diaper by the time we got home, but alas, he didn't have any reactions and is truly Milk allergy free! Praise God and I am now a huge believer in "probiotics" (HMF powder). Seriously, they have turned little Zach's life around completely...no more ear infections, gaining weight (slowly), and only 1-2 stools a day verses the 6-8 a day that he averaged until he was 18 months old and got the super high dose of the HMF powder.

Immediately I began trying to get Zachary to drink milk to no avail. The 19 pound 20 month old has a will that even a drill sergeant would spend months trying to break before giving in to his inscent crying. He absolutely refuses to try anything new. I did everything I could think of to get him to like milk. Here are a few things I tried: a new sippy cup with Thomas on it, a fun cup with a straw, a cup without a lid, his juice sippy cups switched to milk, fruit smoothies, chocolate milk, 1/2 chocolate 1/2 white milk, organic strawberry milk, milk flavored with Boagie's strawberry jam, milk mixed with his juice, and banana flavored milk....I think that's it....but I could be missing something. And after each and every sip that I actually fooled him into drinking before he wised up and pushed it away, he would say "ick." I really hoped he would like drinking milk (just like his big brother...he copies everything else he does!) so that he could start gaining some weight, but it is NOT going to happen. He avoids anything dairy and even refused to eat his oatmeal that I started making with whole milk instead of rice milk. There may be a small glimmer of hope because this past Monday he had an ice cream cone for the first time in 6 months and seemed to enjoy it (after saying "ick" for the first 3 bites). I also got a tip from a friend (and mother of 4 boys) that perhaps he doesn't like the thickness of whole milk and I should start with skim milk and slowly increase it to whole milk. I plan to try that as soon as I make it to the store. Any other ideas are always welcome! Please post them as a comment.

So, since I was pushing the milk so hard this past week, I had given him 3 crackers and a strawberry for a snack along with 3 types of milk and some water. I was fascinated as I watched him exhibit OCD behavior with the things on his tray (he's his father's son!):

Notice how each snack has it's own cup scooted next to it. Great matching, Zach!
What he lacks in size, he makes up for in his fearlessness and boundless energy. In the video below you can see how he practices his "donkey kick" from gymnastics. (that's my mom's voice on the phone in the background)
He also has a great memory, but just cannot verbalize and articulate very clearly. In this video he names all of his monster trucks (ignore the crying child in the background who is sitting in time out and is ready to: "say my 'apologize', Mommy")
Zachary Says....
On a beautiful day last week, the boys and I were playing in the driveway when Zachary looked up and saw the moon in the bright blue sky. He said: "Ball, Ball" Yep...it did look like a ball was stuck in the sky. I just had to laugh.
On that same day, we were blowing bubbles and the breeze was taking them up over the house. Zachary would run after them and then say "Bubbles Back!" He was a little disappointed that I couldn't make them come back.
Zachary loves to play duck, duck, goose or any game that even closely resembles it. Mikie wanted to play sea lion, sea lion, shark (same game...different words). Zachary was all too eager to play with us and when it was his turn to be the "ducker" he patted Mikie's head and said "Sea lion" then patted my head and said "Sea Lion" then patted his own head and said "SHARK".

5 comments:

  1. Zachary...Good job on donkey kicking and saying the names of the monster trucks. I like the way you matched your snack with all the cups. You need to drink your milk mommy gives you so you will grow big and strong like Grandpa Brown. He drinks a lot of milk everyday.

    Tracy-When I was first reading this I thought maybe you could put the milk in a NEW container and I read you tried several with no success.(good thinking) I hope the skim milk works but if not you probably won't like this idea but....(remember I live on a farm with animals) try putting a little milk in a bowl and let him lick it like a kitty cat (maybe a little messy but if he starts to like it then the cup comes into place.) Before you try this read a book with pictures of kittens doing this and take photos or video of this and make a BIG deal of him being a kitty and see if it works ( I know BIG brother would love to volunteer for an example.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that Zachary is allergy free. Hopefully before too long he will start to like milk. Maybe if Mikie tells him how much he likes it, then Zachary will want to try it. Just an idea but you may have already tried that. I know that my little ones will usually try something if Lenny thinks it's good. They think Lenny is the coolest.

    I couldn't imagine the time you had at the doctor's office for that long with both of them.

    Zachary is cute with his monster trucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Natalie could make him drink his milk. ;) Kidding!! That is SO great about the allergies going away...praise God! :) Don't know if you saw her or not, but she disappeared in the hallway at MOPS this morning. I turned around and she was petting Zachary like one would pet a small dog. She wants to be his mother so bad...I bet she'd trade Michaela Byrd for a "brudder" hands down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Monster Trucks are to Zachary what Thomas was to Mikie??? That cracks me up how they are all lined up and he knows all the names. Have you tried yogurt? Or powdered milk mixed in with something else?

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH ZACHARY, no more allergies! He is so darn cute with the trucks (& wicked smart too!)

    ReplyDelete